In the last few days, the decision to transfer and immediate cancellation of transfer orders of a few influential teachers and administrators have brought the picture of total anarchy in the health department to everyone. But this incident is only the tip of the iceberg.
For more than a decade, the health department has become an arena of extreme anarchy, corruption and nepotism. The fair transfer policy is gone. A handful of doctors who are in the league of the ruling party are sitting in Kolkata hospitals without working. On the other hand, many government doctors have been working in postings far away from their families for years. Extortion is going on for desirable posting.. So government doctors and teacher-doctors are now scared and angry. Many are not in the mental state to properly provide medical services. This is accompanied by huge outdoor patient pressure and shortage of doctors and health workers.
The same is true of medical education. Opportunity is available if you are close to the leadership of the ruling party. And the threat of failure in examinations if there is little opposition to the rulers, the threat of not giving registration after passing. Ruling party student leaders are teaching the students how to disrespect teachers.
And the impact of all these irregularities is finally affecting the patients. We all have our backs against the wall. If we don’t roar in protest yet, then the government health system and the medical education system to produce future doctors will be completely destroyed. And if this gross corruption and anarchy continues, that day is not far off.
The ordinary working people, the government hospitals are whose only resource, will have to pay the price for the ruling party’s greed for power and inner-party strife
Therefore, the Joint Platform of Doctors on behalf of the doctors of West Bengal demands:
- Let the State Govt immediately introduce transparent transfer policy.
- The time periods for every government doctors and teacher-physicians of work in remote areas and the metropolis should be fixed.
- Priority should be given to the posting of doctors in their own districts
- All those involved in posting corruption should be given exemplary punishment.
- Stop the interference of student leaders in the examination system of medical education.
- There must be regular students’ union election in every medical colleges.
If you agree with our demands, join the online campaign.
The health of the people depends on the transparent and fair management of the health department.