Research says our mental well-being is largely determined by our relationship with our significant other. But keeping a blissful and healthy relationship needs equal participation from the partners, especially in this trying times of global epidemic, where everyone is more stressed and anxious than ever.
Thus, the key to stay calm and avoiding unnecessary conflicts at home is to strike a balance of harmony!
Home quarantine, has forced people to remain at their home, giving them an opportunity to spend some quality time with their partners, to relive and cherish old memories and even work on their differences. But this situation also has another challenging part to it…like getting stuck with certain unwanted habits of their partners more, more chances of collision due to any difference in opinion, and even projecting one’s frustration on the other. Thus, turning the home into a war zone!
So, the obvious question that comes up is how to turn our quarantine time into peaceful and congenial atmosphere which will help us bond better for future.
The suggestions are:
1. Divide up work. Most of the marital discord starts from the complain of unequal work distribution. Discuss among yourselves and divide work so that no one gets too exhausted.
2. Do some household work together, it can be cooking, gardening etc. This will help you to bond better with your partner.
3. Avoid direct criticism, as this will invite further conflicts.
4. Do small things for each other, to make them feel special and cared for. Remember everyone loves attention!
5. Try having your meals together. Family that eats together, stays together.
6. Give each other space. To much involvement can be suffocating sometimes. Respect your partners ‘me time’. It shows your trust and respect to your partner.
7. In times of arguments ,don’t bring old issues, as they will fuel up the argument.
8. Avoid watching to much of screen. 1 hour news in a day is enough to keep you informed. Too much exposure to screen will bring anxiety and negativity that can be easily avoided.
9. Planning things for yourself only is also important as planning things together. So make some time for yourself, as this time will help you to detox your mind.
10. Finally always sleep together, don’t change your room after a fight. Physical closeness helps in bringing mental closeness as well.