- All co-habitants/family must also home quarantine themselves simultaneously with any one of them detected positive for COVID and told by the health department to be in home isolation with treatment.
- All co-habitants/family, should wear masks (surgical masks/cloth masks) during home isolation.
- The cloth masks should be washed regularly with warm detergent
- Surgical masks should be discarded after 8 hours of use and disinfected with 1% sodium hypochlorite solution before further disposal.
- All must maintain a distance of at least 6 feet from the COVID patient.
- Elderly co-habitants/family members and kids of less than 10 yrs are more prone, so they should be taken more care of during this ISOLATION
- Elderly with co-morbid conditions should take all the medicines properly and regularly .
- Avoid touching face, eyes, nose and follow proper hand hygiene.
- Clean room and surfaces with 1% hypochlorite solution. But Hypochlorite is corrosive to metals, so use 70% alcohol containing sanitizer for metallic surfaces.
- Follow healthy lifestyle like healthy food habits, exercise, breathing exercises etc.
- Last but not the least, be sympathetic with patient and give mental support. Try to keep him/ her happy
Housing the Patient and Precautions
- The patient should preferably be housed in a well ventilated isolation room with attached washroom and also should avoid using common spaces at home.
- Patients should essentially wear three layered masks round the clock.
- A dustbin with lid lined with garbage bag and disinfectant spray, should be used exclusively for discarded masks of the patient and disposed off regularly with the complete bag separately.
Precautions To Be Taken By Care Givers
- Caregiver must also wear 3 layered surgical masks.
- Caregiver must also wear gloves and a face shield at least when in patient’s room.